AboutWho I AmShopContact

7.13.2016

Enduring Mistreatment

Do you ever feel something nagging on your heart and you just can't let it go? You try to forget the pain but you quickly are reminded of it once again and the irritation and urge to feed on the anger grows in your heart. Have you ever felt like your life never met up to what everyone expected of you? Like your opinion never matters? Your voice always goes unheard. You're viewed as an "ignorant nobody." You're the person who's effort often gets overlooked and the person whom others often forget about. The one who constantly faces rejection and never feels good enough.

It's hard when you feel like others get better treatment and your thoughts, circumstances and ideas go unnoticed. Everyone else seems to lead a more important life with great wisdom to share, while you are left feeling like you are too young or ignorant to be heard. You want to voice your opinion, but it's never given the chance. It's like your life and entire existence is entirely invisible.

It's nice to know that someone understands. Jesus knows how it felt to be viewed as a nobody and He was treated like an outsider for being the Son of God, the Creator of the universe. It sure does make me look at my circumstances a bit differently. If the Son of God could humble Himself and come to this earth for me, why do I have such a hard time when I feel unfairly treated with others? Even with all that Jesus had gone through: rejection, ridicule, physical abuse, etc. He still remained humble and lived the life of a servant. He didn't expect to be treated like royalty, even though He had every right. How dare I complain when I feel like I am unfairly treated for things so inferior to what He had faced.

Seeing Jesus's example reminds me that even though life may seem unfair, and it's hard to let things go that hurt us so badly, God has forgiven me and given me grace when I don't deserve it. When others seem to take advantage of me and it's hard to forgive them for their treatment, I am reminded of God's forgiveness to me. God has extended His grace to me, and yet why I can't give that to others?

It puts a different light on my situations when I look at things from God's perspective. It's not about holding onto the pain and reveling in it. It's about giving that hurt, pain and anger and giving it over to God to take the burden away. This past week I had encountered an issue where I felt frustrated and I didn't want to let go of the anger I was feeling. It was then I realized that by holding onto the pain was only doing me harm. It's such a simple truth, that I learned before, but how easily I forget. When I gave it to God I felt relief and peace knowing that it was in His hands and up to Him to take care of the circumstance. It's not my place to judge, change or seek revenge, but it is God's job. He knows what is just and what is right and He will make sure nothing is overlooked. He sees the hurt, pain and knows the treatment we face. He sees the unjust situations we encounter and knows when others undervalue our worth.

Often times the pain comes back again, throbbing like a severed wound, and we begin to feel the anger begin to grow within us again. God understands the hurt it causes us, but when this occurs we should continually give it back to God. Sometimes we have to keep doing it over and over until we can fully let it go. It's not an easy thing to do by offering the situations to God when we feel undervalued and unfairly treated. It's easy to get angry, lash out and take things into our own hands. When this occurs I try to remember that God has called me to be different. I am a Christian, I am an example of Christ, maybe the only example someone will see of Him. I should offer others the love I have received from God even when I feel hurt and mistreated.

If you feel like your circumstances have led you to feel unfairly treated and you wonder what God is doing through this time, take a deeper look. When others reject and undervalue you, it doesn't define your worth, but their character. When others don't show love or take the time to listen, remember your purpose. You aren't here to be loved, but to love. To show God's love. You aren't here to live a happy life, but to use your circumstances as a launchpad for who God has called you to be. To use those hard and difficult times to strengthen your character, not as a time to complain and seek revenge.

God isn't trying to hurt you or punish you. He's testing you to show your character. He wants to see how you react. Will you become jealous, angry or seek revenge? Or will you show love, seek forgiveness and show grace? We have Jesus as our example to look to when we feel like everyone is against us. He was humble, a servant, He cared for the misfits and lived with the peasants. He loves those who have willing hearts and show grace and love even when they feel undervalued and invisible.

Mark 10:45
For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.

Matthew 20:16
So the last will be first, and the first will be last.

I Peter 2:19
For God is pleased with you when you do what you know is right and patiently endure unfair treatment.

2 Timothy 4:12
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful post.
    I'm leaving your blog encouraged, and I suppose you can be glad, since I'm sure that's what you set out to do. Never stop writing, Britt, if only because I really really enjoy your blog and find comfort in a lot of the words here. :)

    -T.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tane for your sweet comment! Knowing you are encouraged when you come and read my blog warms my heart! :)

      Delete