AboutWho I AmShopContact

11.14.2014

Storing Up Treasures

As I was reading in my devotions tonight I came across a verse that really stood out to me..

"do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven."

I want something so much more for my life than the achievements I've won or how popular I am. So many times I get focused on my career and how to be successful after I get out of college. I get caught up with what others think of me and if they will accept me. I base my view of myself off of how others see me and what they say.

When others compliment me it really makes me feel good, but how many of those compliments are often just based on things that will pass away. Sometimes I would rather have people compliment me on my talents and appearance rather than my character, I have to be honest. But when others see our life, what do you want them to see? an attractive person who dresses in the latest fashion style? or someone who cares for others and makes them feel loved?

I want to be known for more than the way I looked or the talents I possess. Even though one of my biggest aspirations is becoming a successful designer some day, I want even more to be known as someone who lived her life for God and showed love to others even when she may have not gotten any in return. I want to be remembered as being different from the world and stood up for her beliefs even when everyone else saw no wrong in what they were doing.



Seeing death so often in my life has really impacted me deeply. Every funeral I go to it really puts my mind back into perspective of why I'm living here on this earth. It's not about being the best in my classes. It's not about being famous. It's not about how many friends you have. Life is so much more. Life is about choosing to use the time God's given us here on this earth to glorify Him and show others the love He has given us. It's about showing love when we don't get any in return. It's about listening when you feel like someone needs to take a load off their shoulders. It's about trusting in God when you don't know where the next path will take you.

So, all that to say, what do you want to be remembered as? When you look back at your life in 20 years what do you want see? someone who only focused on the here and now, or someone who looked beyond the present and focused on what really would last in eternity? Evaluate your life and what you are living for. Think about what you would like to be remembered as. Would others see a difference in you compared to the world? Would God be proud of the life you are living?

Take a look at your life and really think of why you are doing things. Is it for your selfish gain or is it for a higher cause? It's so easy to get caught up in our needs, wants and selfish desires, but take a moment to ask God to keep you focused on what really matters. Don't let selfish desires and wants overtake you and allow you to take the wrong path or drag you into sin.

Ask yourself- "am I storing up treasures for heaven with how I'm living? will I be proud of what I'm doing today when I look back at my life?"

No comments:

Post a Comment