AboutWho I AmShopContact

8.23.2014

Finding Good in the Storm

Sometimes in our lives we experience heartaches and things that stretch us to a thin. Sometimes we grow weary in our struggles and wonder where God is taking us. We wonder why God allows us to continue hurting. We question why we are placed in such a hard place and what the meaning is for all our pain. And sometimes we wonder how anything we are going through is actually "for good."

Tonight while I was reading in my Bible I came across a passage that I've read many times, but this time it really hit me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Then Jesus got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!" 

He replied "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then He got up and rebuked the winds and waves and it was completely calm. Matthew 8:23-26

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How often we are going through a storm in our own lives and we think God is sleeping. The waves are crashing up over us and we feel like everything is caving in. We wonder where God is. But just when we think everything is going to overtake us and come crashing- God "wakes" up and reminds us that He is always in control. Even though it may seem like He is not paying attention to what we are facing, He is present with us through it all.

With God we don't have to be afraid or fear what comes, because we know that He is in it with us. It may feel like you are drowning in your everyday struggles, but God will calm your sea. I feel like this story reminds me just how much I take God forgranted and how much I need Him. It is when things get hard when I realize how much I need God.

Sometimes we feel like God is pulling at us and dragging us farther out of our comfort zone than we ever thought was possible. Often times I think God has more confidence in me than I do. He knows my tolerance and what I can handle. Often I don't think I can handle something and I become afraid, but in the end God shows me that I can do it. It may be hard. It may not be on my own strength, but with Him I can overcome what I thought was impossible.

Sometimes when we are going through something all we see is the pain it is causing us and we look at the negatives. Even though it hurts and is painful, it is helping us to grow and strengthen us for the better. Sometimes we learn better through heartaches and criticism more than with love and kindness. Don't look at your struggles with a negative outlook. Take those negative things and use them to your advantage. Ask God for help when you feel weak and keep going when times get tough. God is working in your life and He is using what you are going through right now to prepare you for great things!

3 comments:

  1. Britt, I want to take the time to tell you that your blog is a real encouragement to me. I'm amazed at how well you use words to connect with your readers hearts! Praise God. When reading your posts, I sense that you have "been there, done that", and can understand my struggles, which is so so powerful. I also sense a very caring spirit, and I know that God is and will use that to reach a lot of people, if you are only willing to let Him (and I know that you are!) Keep pursuing God and using your writing talents to honor Him! Life is not easy - but God is faithful. Blessings, Destinee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Destinne! Your comment really encouraged me. I'm glad that I could encourage you with what I write. You brightened my day today! Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete