AboutWho I AmShopContact

12.10.2015

Seeking Satisfaction

Do you ever feel like you are always pushed aside? Your opinion never matters? How you feel is insignificant? Like nobody cares how they affect you with their actions? Sometimes we feel neglected and replaced. We feel disappointed in ourselves and we feel inferior. We question our self worth and wonder why we aren't ever good enough. We wonder if anyone will ever accept us or show us what true love really feels like.

It is interesting to flip this around and look at things from a different perspective- God's perspective. He looks at us and I'm sure He feels the same way: "I feel like I am always pushed aside and you seek after earthly pleasures before you desire a relationship with Me. My opinion and my plan for your life are overtaken by your wants and needs for your life. I know what is best for you, but you still doubt my ways. I often feel neglected and replaced with the material things you choose to focus on in your life."

Just as we often feel pushed aside and neglected with others, we do this as well with God. We find things that are more important to us and what we think will satisfy our earthly craving for temporary enjoyment. We let our enjoyment overtake what, in fact, will truly satisfy our soul- seeking after God.



Sometimes I allow things to overtake God in my life. Working long hours and spending time with friends sometimes outweighs my time invested in my relationship with God. I become more involved with how loved I feel or how much money I'm earning. My thoughts and time is often spent on things that are small in comparison to God's purpose for my life. Friendships and working hard are definitely important, but they should never overtake God and our relationship with Him. I often let relationships with people I love become more important than my relationship with God and I seek to be accepted by them rather than seeking God. But we should invest as much time in our relationship with God as we do with our friends and also our career.

It is hard to keep a balance and keep God the center and focus of our lives. It's almost like we have to keep refocusing or mindset off the things this world distracts us with and focus it back onto God. Sometimes I have to do this multiple times within a few hours. It's hard! We get distracted, discouraged and disheartened with the things of this life, but it's never too late to refocus again. Focus off things that will bring temporary satisfaction and start spending time (even just a little time) each day to do something that will really matter.

Often I find that when I have more meaning to the things I am spending my time on, I feel more joyful. I feel contentment rather than frustration from temporary satisfaction in what I'm doing. Spending time with God makes life have more purpose beyond the painful trials and circumstances. No time with God is ever wasted. It is encouraging to see how just a few minutes in prayer with God or reading the Bible really helps change my outlook. It brings me comfort and peace on a hard day and helps me overcome the pain. It also brings joy to my heart when I can help others rather than just helping and satisfying myself. When we are so focused on ourselves and our problems it is nice to take a step back and look to God and also seek to help and encourage others.


Matthew 6:19-21
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

4 comments:

  1. I can always relate to your posts on such a personal level. Thank you for being such an encouragement to so many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lauren! I'm so glad you can relate to my posts and they are an encouragement. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. YES!! Lovely post! Too often I put everything else in life before God, but He is the only One who can truly satisfy :) Thanks for the encouragement today!

    ReplyDelete