AboutWho I AmShopContact

12.29.2018

Desiring a Deeper Love

Maybe you consider yourself wise and knowledgeable. Maybe you show no racism, no favoritism or hate. Maybe you reach out to the poor, give of your time or money. Maybe you view yourself as an influence to others. Maybe you even go to church and pray. Maybe you know all the right words to say to others. Maybe you always are one to win an argument. Maybe you are generous with your finances. Maybe you do all the right things, but something feels like it is missing. There's one tiny ingredient in everything we do that makes what we do worthwhile. Love. Not just the romantic love you have for your crush or spouse, but a much deeper purpose of love.

In I Corinthians this kind of love is referred to as "Agape" love. This kind of love isn't found in anything other than of God, because it is love at it's purest source. Only through Him can we offer this kind of love to others. It's a love that comes from a desire to offer ourselves with no self-promoting or self-seeking desire to attain something in return.

I can't count the endless times I have done what appeared to be good and right, when underneath I was doing it for selfish gain. I want to live a life that doesn't only speak to be heard. Does not share only to be applauded. Does not give only to be rewarded. Does not write only to be read. Does not accept only to be included. Does not convince only to win. Does not pray only to receive. I want more to my life than to reach heaven with great intentions, but only to be left with hollow, meaningless actions for selfish gratification.

"If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 

If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. 

If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing. "

I Corinthians 13:1-3

I don't want to waste away my life only doing things that appear worthy when the primary One I'm serving desires a different form of love. I want my life to be the visual representation of God's agape love; a love that runs deeper than the shallow love this world has craved to fill the void inside. The love this world knows won't satisfy. It won't remain. It isn't eternal. 

Only what we did for Christ will remain. Is the love you show only to receive love in return, or are you the proof of His everlasting love, expecting nothing in return to those you offer it to?

This song sparked the topic of my post and I think it does an excellent job articulating the verses in I Corinthians 13:1-3. I especially like the monologue in the middle of the song as well.

4 comments:

  1. This is a angelic thesis. There are tally a thin onuss indicating that the teller desires to haul distress throughout verbs, prepositions. struggling with bulimia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I wrote you a message about possible collaboration, did you get it?

    ReplyDelete